Are you planning on adding a new fur baby to your family but you're not sure if you want a puppy or a kitten? Our Ambassador Dog & Cat Hospital vets will provide you with information on why raising puppies and kittens together is a great idea.
About Raising Puppies And Kittens Together.
Puppies and kittens look so cute together but raising them together can be difficult, there are also a lot of benefits to raising your new puppy and kitten together. If your dogs and cats are introduced properly at a young age, the hate and fear instinct doesn't have the chance to grow and increase in them so they can overcome it a lot faster. This is not always the cause, it can depend on the breed but in most cases, puppies and kittens can be the perfect match for each other.
Our Ambassador Dog & Cat Hospital vets will explain why raising them both at the same time can be good for your pets.
Are They A Good Match?
Puppies and Kittens are generally a good match for each other for several different reasons including:
- Keep Each other Company- When you have to leave the house your pet misses you. Having a puppy and a kitten at home together gives them someone to spend time with on those days when they are all alone.
- Outside "Buddies"- Kittens are not always outdoor pets but they can be a play friend for your puppy as they are learning to go outside. You can put both your kitten and puppy on a leash and take them outside for playtime.
- Sleep- Sleeping in a new place can be very scary but then you have your new kitten and puppy they can cuddle together when they want to sleep.
- Potty Training- If you are raising a puppy and kitten together, they can be potty trained together and will be able to learn from each other.
- House Rules- As you are teaching your dog not to jump on the furniture or stay in a certain area of the house, you can teach all your pets the same rules. This also makes it easier on your puppy because they are not being disciplined when the kitten is not.
- Personal Hygiene- You will notice that your puppy and kitten will start to clean each other, this is just them telling each other that it is time for a cleaning.
Can They Become Best Friends?
One benefit of raising a puppy and a kitten together is that they will most likely be the best of friends for life. Since they are growing up together, they are there for each other. Having each other also helps especially if your cat or puppy has anxiety or attachment insecurities.
Make sure to do some research on the best types of dogs that bond with cats. Some kinds of dogs do not do well with cats. These breeds include terrier, sighthound, or husky. Spaniels and retrievers, bulldogs, Keeshonds, poodles, and Lhasa apsos are generally good with kittens.